Sunday, March 6, 2011

Austerity off campus-profits on campus?


This week I had lunch with the International Education office and a visitor from a strategic partner in the US. It was a working lunch and obviously hemmed in between other meetings and as was probably most convenient on this occasion on campus, but as I had seen a new initiative on campus offering lunch at the Glucksman Gallery & I am a great fan of same, I asked the College staff to change the venue to the Glucksman. I was informed on return just before lunch that we were not going to the Glucksman as we could not go there -or rather could but only if we also paid for the lunch in the staff rest as well (or we could of course send another group of people to the staff rest to eat it!). I fumed silently, but as it was too late to do otherwise, went along with the original booking.
Now a number of points-
1.       The ‘designated’ lunch was not in accordance with any special menu as if it were it would have included a vegetarian option (which I (semi) am-(I eat fish)) but the starter option was in fact meat -so I had bread.
2.       Surely we should be able in good time to cancel like anyone else-if say I reserve a table in Cafe P-there will be waiter service & yet if I cancel do I pay?—I think not. This is not to say anything against the service in the staff rest which was charming and efficient as ever –just to question the management message here to regular and good customers.
3.       In addition I regularly sign requisitions for staff to use research monies etc., to for example entertain people- often those with a particular dietary requirement- off hours & off campus. Is this a useful use of my time or theirs where they obviously have the funds and have decided it is an important initiative?
On the bigger picture do we as an Institution not have a commitment to assist the local economy-not just the one on our immediate campus?  Does it occur to people that it might sometimes be useful to showcase to our guests the wonderful hinterland of the University? I know we do in many other ways, but the means of doing it through traditional hospitality in our local culture is closed off as an option. Whenever I have travelled abroad to Universities, part of the hospitality involved showcasing their local city & its hostelries. I have happy memories for example of a meal in downtown St Louis with international staff and students (albeit with a rather shaky taxi ride home from Joel who picked up en route a musician friend who needed his medicine-another story!) which led to a successful and ongoing student exchange.  As a nation known for its hospitality and Cork a city with a reputation as a gourmet capital what are we doing? Our current austerity measures-or cost cutting as it is euphemistically called-arguably only serves to ensure that the captive campus market for catering is probably the only growth industry in the country!! Yet I am not entirely sure that what must be an increased market (with lower costs) has resulted in obvious price reductions? However even if I am not correct there, should this ban on off campus/preference for on campus hospitality (which is certainly not specifically stated to be based on cost) not go? Any views?
 Another small point-given the week that is in it-is it not fantastic to see former President Mary Robinson sitting on the floor in Chad with a women’s group (Sunday’s Observer newspaper magazine)?  Showing the admirable resilience, idealistic commitment and true pioneering and leadership spirit that is her hallmark, and not always found in former Presidents, and sporting rather unpresidential looking socks, the picture so marvellously understated and accidental in its revelation reminds us of what it is great about being Irish and what is important about leadership and sister power! Happy international women’s day!

No comments:

Post a Comment